Clinical outcomes for patients with chronic back and neck pain has historically been poor. Why? Patients with chronic back or neck pain need more than hands-on treatment and exercises. Pain is complex and a systematic approach is necessary to evaluate the type of pain most dominant in a patient’s clinical presentation. The subjective interview should review potential red and yellow flags. The objective evaluation should prioritize what areas need to be addressed first. Patients need and want knowledge; thus, patient education is paramount. This course expounds on pain assessment, pain neuroscience education, as well as pain treatment and approach.
|Contact Hours: 2
|Video Course Format: Video
|Instructional Level: Intermediate
|BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on pain assessment, pain neuroscience education, as well as pain treatment and approach.
- Recognize the prevalence/incidence of cervical and lumbar pain and how this influences clinical practice.
- Select the most common forms of self-report patient outcomes measures used for complex back and neck patients.
- Identify the most prevalent red flags during the spine examination, in addition to knowing what yellow flags to consider.
- Identify the most diagnostic cervical-oriented special tests and lumbar-oriented special tests.
- Recognize the proposed benefit to classifying low back and neck conditions by similarity.
- Recognize the effectiveness of each technique for treatment within the classifications.
- Recognize the value and benefits of Pain Science Education.
- Identify the 4 R’s of pain Science Education.
- Select the most appropriate patients for cervical manipulation based on Clinic Prediction Rule.
- Select the most dominant pain mechanism for their patients.
- Recognize the benefit of using the BPS model.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Certified Athletic Trainers, Massage Therapists.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
Financial – Pieter Smidt is the owner of Reset Wellness PT and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.