As healthcare professionals, we frequently work with pediatric clients who may require prescription medications for a range of conditions. The children we treat might range from the high risk neonates to older children with cardiovascular disease, ADHD or epilepsy. Or they may have a range of other clinical conditions, which require medicatons such as antibiotics, corticosteroids or analgesics. As a result, we must be empowered with information regarding the effects of each child's medications, to include understanding the benefits versus the risks of common drug classes.
This course will focus on some of the more common pediatric medications, to equip the healthcare professional with an understanding of the actions and effects of such drugs. Evidence-based practice will be shared to include the risks of adverse drug events as well as the drugs' methods of action to achieve the desired clinical outcomes.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Introduction: The need to be cognizant of a medication's eï¬€ects
- Evidence of adverse eï¬€ects in pediatrics
- Actions and eï¬€ects of antibiotics in Children
- Understanding steroids and corticosteroids
- Central Nervous System stimulants and non-stimulants to treat children with ADHD
- Pharmacology for gastroesophageal reflux in children
- A review of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs)
- Common medications for cardiac conditions
- Common medications for respiratory/pulmonary conditions
- Pain medications for children
- Summarizing points
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on methods of action, potential adverse reactions and beneﬁts of multiple medications within several drug classes.
- Identify the challenges for obtaining a new drug’s approval for use in children and adolescents.
- Select the common circumstances of adverse drug events in pediatric settings.
- Select the advantages and potential adverse events of antibiotic classes for children.
- Identify the advantages and adverse eﬀects of steroids & corticosteroids for children.
- Identify the benefits and risks of stimulants & non-stimulants to treat ADHD in children.
- Recognize the actions and side effects of proton pump inhibitors and Histamine H2 Antagonists to treat children with gastroesophageal reflux.
- Identify the actions and effects of Antiepileptic Drugs (AEDs)
- Select the actions and side effects of medications used to treat cardiac and respiratory conditions in children.
- Recognize the indications and safety issues with pain medications for children in the US.
A webinar is LIVE INTERACTIVE audio and video course delivered over the Internet to your computer. With a HomeCEU webinar, you are able to see, hear and interactive with the course presenter. In many courses, demonstrative video will be used to further enhance your learning experience. All content used in the presentation will also be made available to you for your personal use (PowerPoint Slides, Reference Materials etc.).
Contact Hours: 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Speech Language Pathologist.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
This course is offered for 0.30 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial – Lisa Milliken is employed by Select Rehabilitation and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.