Neurodevelopmental disorders encompass a wide range of motor dysfunctions that affect a child’s ability to move and interact with his environment in a meaningful way. The latest research strongly suggests that early object interaction, sitting, and locomotor behaviors are important vehicles for promoting future cognitive, perceptual-motor, language, and social-emotional development. Children with neurodevelopmental disorders are challenged in accessing these experiences.
This course will provide participants with knowledge of the latest motor learning techniques and evidenced based practices for infants and young children with neurodevelopmental disorders. The decision making and treatment session strategies will enable you to be a proactive clinician, allowing the implementation of a plan of care that can improve functional outcomes. Return to your practice with tools to immediately implement the best interventions, the latest research, and safely challenge this population
This seminar-on-demand is 5 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Definition of Evidenced Based Practice
- Description of Common Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Impaired Neuromotor Development (Autism, Developmental Coordination Disorder, Down Syndrome)
- Non Progressive Disorders of Motor Impairment (Cerebral Palsy, Traumatic Brain Injury)
- Definition, description and applications of Motor Learning Theories:
- Information Processing Perspective
- Dynamic Systems Perspective
- Embodied Cognition
- Activity Focused Interventions
- Descriptions of Traditional and New Paradigms
- Plan of Care Task and Activity Oriented Approaches Common Treatment Avoidance Behaviors and How to Intervene Wellness Focused Intervention
- Pentagon of Wellness
- Mindfulness Techniques
- Patient Relational Strategies
- Description of Motor Presentations/Limitations of Disorders, Recommendation s for interventions based on the 5 Realms (physical, energetic,
- psycho-social/emotional, intellectual and spiritual
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Description, Evidence and Application of Treatment Interventions: Traditional:
- Neurodevelopmenta l Treatment (Bobath) Tscharnuter Akademie for Movement Organization (TAMO) Sensori
- Motor (Rood)
- Strength Training Aquatic Therapy Passive:
- Novel: Active: EMG Triggered
- Electrical Stimulation Therapeutic Yoga Partial Weight bearing Treadmill Training
- Virtual Reality Training Cont.
- Upper Limb: Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy (CIMT), Hand-Arm BiManual Intensive Training (HABIT)
- Mirror Therapy/Action Observation Passive:
- Myofascial Release
- Myofascial Structural Integration (Rolfing)
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on the latest motor learning techniques and evidenced based practices for infants and young children with neurodevelopmental disorders
- Recognize Evidenced Based Practice Guidelines and Manifestations of Common Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Identify the latest motor learning theories and their application to children with neurodevelopmental disorders
- Recognize Application of a holistic treatment approach for consideration of the whole child, regardless of profession, discipline or role
- Identify treatment strategies and interventions to maximize progress, promote collaboration and achieve results in this population
- Recognize awareness of impairment focused modalities to assist with the treatment of children with neurodevelopmental disorders as well as effectiveness
- Identify application of Traditional and Novel Treatment Techniques
- Identify analytical thinking and reflective judgement through treatment planning and decision making regarding appropriate interventions
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 5
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist and Occupational Therapist Assistant
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Course Type: Seminar-on-Demand
The course materials fjor this course are available in our online format.
Financial – Chrys Kub is the owner of by FitYogaTherapy and receives a salary. She receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.