Over the last several decades, advanced medical technology has led to improved surgical techniques and emergency care for burn injuries. Simply put, more people are surviving that would have been fatal 20 or 30 years ago.
Burn scar tissue that plays a role in persistent pain, inhibits quality of life, interferes with structure and organs can be safely addressed by skilled manual therapists.
This course includes interviewing techniques and clinical decision-making for working with burn survivors’ traumatic scarring. Scar management treatment can help with range of motion and improve their quality of life. Nancy combines years of research with burn scar clients and her certification in MLD to develop a protocol that combines gentle hands-on techniques to facilitate the best healing environment.
This Seminar-On-Demand is 4 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|Contact Hours: 4||
Video Course Format: Video
|Target Audience: MT/LMT, OT/COTA, PT/PTA|
|Instructional Level: Beginner|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Discuss skin layers and their functions
- Describe how burn scar tissue is formed
- Explain scar tissue contracture and the pain impact on the client
- Explain the differences between keloids and hypertrophic
- Explain and demonstrate contractures and impact on the burn survivor
- Determine the long term impact of burn scar tissue on clients
- State the most recent research in the field of massage for burn scars
- Discuss pain issues unique to the burn scar community
- Discuss the important role inflammation plays in the healing process of Burn scar formation.
- Discuss the role of the lymphatic system in the healing process of burn scars
- Discuss the role of the nervous system in burn scar therapy
- Discussion of medications and the effect on burn scar therapy
- Demonstration of burn scar manual therapy
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is designed to instruct the healthcare professional on identifying burn scars and the impact on the client.
At the conclusion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Describe how burn scar tissue is formed with emphasis on burn scar depth
- Explain burn scar tissue contracture and the pain impact on the client
- Explain the differences between keloids, hypertrophic & surgical scars
- Assess the long term impact of burn scar tissue on clients
- Recgonize the most recent research in the field of burn scar massage, scars and pain
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 4
Target Audience: Physical Therapists Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants, Massage Therapist.
Instructional Level: Beginner
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
The course materials for this Seminar-On-Demand are available instantly in our online format.
Financial – Nancy Keeney Smith is the owner of Touch Therapy and receives a salary.
Nonfinancial - No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.