This course looks at the scope of the opioid epidemic in the US, including factors that contributed to this problem. How opioids work and how they lead to addiction is addressed. The ethics of pain management in light of the opioid epidemic is examined as is recent changes in the management of pain in response to the opioid epidemic.
|Contact Hours: 2
|Video Course Format: Video
|Instructional Level: Intermediate
|BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
- Background and scope of opioid epidemic
- Contributors to Opioid Crisis
- Pain Medication Physiology
- Physiology of Opioid Addiction
- Consequences of Inadequately Treated Pain
- Barriers to Effective Pain Management
- Neuromatrix Model of Pain
- Changes in Pain Management Related to the Opioid Epidemic
- Non-Pharmacological pain management
- Drug seeking behavior/addictive personality
Course Goals & Objectives:
The goal of this course is the understand the scope of and contributors to the opioid epidemic and to look at changes in pain management that have been recommended as a consequence.
- Recognize the scope of the opioid epidemic in the US
- List several contributors to the opioid epidemic
- Identify how different classes of pain medications work
- Identify the basic physiology of opioid addiction
- List the consequences of inadequately managed pain
- List recommended changes in pain management in response to the opioid epidemic
- Identify the basics of the Neuromatrix Model of Pain and how they affect pain management
- List several non-pharmacological ways to manage pain
- List several risk factors for opioid abuse
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Certified Athletic Trainer, Massage Therapists, Nurses, Nursing Home Administrator, Respiratory Therapist
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
Financial – Lorie Schleck is employed by Interim Home Care and receives a salary. She receives payment from Colibri Healthcare, LLC for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact us by email email@example.com or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.