Knowing the complicated rules of coding can be challenging for any Speech Language Pathologist. Such problems often exist due to the multiple rules of why a code would or would not be allowed. For instance, denials for claims addressing cognitive declines continue to escalate. And many claims are denied secondary to codes inappropriately being used together or because the chosen codes were not covered by the Medicare contractor or insurance company.
This course provides direction through the correct use of treatment and medical ICD-10 codes, as well as the applicable CPT codes, based on guidelines and definitions per code. This will include the latest updates to CPTs, ICD-10s and insights from what is or is not covered by Medicare and other payer sources. Examples with be presented as exercises for appropriate coding, so that each course attendee will have a working knowledge of when and how to use each code most appropriately.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Denials happen at the coding level
- Review of each MAC's region and their respective LCDs
- Ex: Novitas Solution, NGS, First Co
- ICD-10 CM differences and structures
- more complex
- more excludes
- categories of systems
- Newest ICD-10 codes for CVAs with cognitive deficits
- Examples and notes per chapter/system
- CPT codes for assessments and the definitions requirements for each
- CPT codes for treatments and the definitions requirements for each
- Reasons for denials at the coding level
- Cognitive Performance Testing
- Unspecified codes
- Other Symbolic dysfunction
- Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Part B line item denials
- Top Denial reasons from Coding Mistakes
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on accurately describing at least 3 clinical scenarios to include the correct treatment and diagnosis codes.
- List regional differentiations between Medicare Contractors for ICD-10 CPT code guidelines, to describe why codes may be reimbursed in some states, but not in others.
- Identify the categorical classification and usage of current and recently updated ICD-10 codes.
- Recognize the difference between the different CPT assessment codes and describe the accurate usage of each.
- Identify the CPT treatment codes that are acceptable by Medicare.
- List the top coding mistakes which often lead to denials from Medicare and insurance companies.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Speech Language Pathologist
Instructional Level: Beginner
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
This course is offered for 0.30 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial – Lisa Milliken is employed by Select Rehabilitation and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.