This course was created for nurses, specifically in the State of Florida, for the purpose of educating about understanding substance abuse disorder, addiction, and drug diversion, and the impact it had on the workplace. Symptoms and signs of this disease are discussed, as are the variables that comprise active diversion. Florida based programs and policies are reviewed, as well as tips for observation and reporting within healthcare system networks and providers. Insight into Florida Statutes, 464.018 (disciplinary actions) and 456.076 (impaired practitioner programs) are discussed.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Nurses and trust
- Stress and nursing
- Understanding oversight, methods and enforcement
- Substance Use Disorder definition
- Addiction definition
- Impairment definition and signs
- Discussion of common abused substances -Explanation of drug diversion
- Policy Statements and SUD
- Observing and reporting
- Florida Statute 464.018 -Mandatory reporting law
- Florida Statute 456.076 -Florida Intervention Project for Nurses (IPN)
- Reporting Process
- Intervention process -Nurse response
- Overview of SUD Treatment Plans
- SUD consequences
- Impact of SUD on patients, peers, professionals, and institutions
- Prevention and awareness of SUD
Course Goals & Objectives:
Substance use disorder, addiction, and drug diversion impact 10-15% of nurses, similar to the general population. This course discusses the specific challenges confronting nurses, the impact on the community, the potential outcomes of these issues, and the available options for treatment.
Participants will become familiar with Florida Statutes pertaining to mandatory reporting, as well as treatment. The process of reporting and understanding policy pertaining to these issues will also be covered.
The goal is to educate, inform, and present solutions to a chronic, but treatable disease while understanding the solution-based oversight from governing bodies.
- Identify the aspects of nursing lack can lead to stress
- Recognize the concept of trust as it pertains to the field of nursing
- Identify the role of oversight agencies and their impact on professionals and providers, as well as patients and the greater community
- Recognizing the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) definition of SUD, addiction, and impairment
- Recognizing the differences between SUD, addiction, and impairment; Identification of the signs and symptoms of SUD, addiction, and impairment
- Identify what drug diversion is, as well as the cost, tactics, signs, and outcomes of this illicit activity and behavior
- Identify reasons that are pertinent to nurses and SUD
- Recognize Florida Statute 464.018 and the impact it has on nursing, licensing, reporting, and observing
- Recognize the treatment options within the Florida IPN program
- Identify areas of impact pertaining to SUD and nurses
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Nurse
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
Financial – Joy Siegel is the owner of Joy Siegel Solutions and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.