It is becoming more and more common to have patients of Hispanic or Spanish descent who are not able to effectively communicate in English. A clinician who is able to educate and assist a patient who only speaks Spanish is an extremely valuable asset to the hospital or clinic setting.
This course will provide a professional the tools and education to communicate with their patients, and therefore improve the progress of treatment and quality of life for the patient.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Discussion of various health care professional titles and responsibilities.
- Discussion of respect and formal speech while addressing patients in Spanish.
- Discussion of cultural norms and respect
- Discussion of pronunciation and grammar of basic phrases.
- Discussion of translation and grammar to best collect medical information for evaluation, treatment, and thorough care.
- Discussion of temporary and permanent verbs while addressing and evaluating patient status.
- Discussion of surface anatomy to assist in thoroughly evaluating the patient and assisting in patient’s ability to communicate pain location.
- Discussion of various words or phrases a patient may use to communicate physical or emotional needs.
- Discussion including communicating in Spanish the social status, living arrangement, occupation, and current independence level to understand patient goals and guide treatment plan.
- Discussion of proper grammar and pronunciation of asking the patient’s subjective during evaluation and treatment.
- Discussion of various diagnoses and the equipment and devices they may need and the proper pronunciation and terms in Spanish.
- Discussion of diagnoses, time (past, present, and future) in Spanish, and proper pronunciation of questions relevant to discussing patient’s medical history.
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on the tools and education to communicate with their patients, and therefore improve the progress of treatment and quality of life for the patient.
- Identify a way to introduce yourself as a healthcare professional including title, and function.
- Identify 5 conversational phrases to greet your patient.
- List 9 question words to assist in gather medication information from your patient.
- Recognize the difference in use between “esta” and “es” while addressing your patient.
- Identify 10 parts of the body in Spanish.
- List 10 descriptive words in Spanish a patient may use to describe how they feel.
- Recognize 10 occupations a patient may state while taking current occupation and employment status.
- Identify 1 way to ask what your patient’s pain level is.
- List 3 commonly used medical devices in Spanish.
- Identify 1 way to ask about a patient’s past medical history.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Speech Language Pathologist, Certified Athletic Trainer, Massage Therapist, Nurses, Nursing Home Administrator, Respiratory Therapist, Licensed Master Social Worker, Registered Dietician
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
This course is offered for 0.20 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Related area).
Financial – Cynthia Diaz is employed by North Carolina Virtual Academy and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service