This course addresses multiple requested topics related to the day to day caseload development and ongoing management in a Skilled Nursing Facility(SNF). Evidence-based practice and current resources are cited to support the concepts presented, such as a variety of screening systems and regulatory requirements of identifying declines in function to best share what is accurate and medically necessary.
Then to further support the SLP's related questions, this session shares critical references for coding and documenting their clinical cases. The goal is to equip Speech Language Pathologists in the SNF setting with facts, evidence based practice and best practice strategies for each of the areas in question.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Screening Tools
- Weight Loss/Diet Changes
- Memory Unit Rounds
- Cardiopulmonary Screens
- Cognitive Declines
- Medications Contributing to Cognitive Declines
- Referral Sources
- Chart Screens
- Recent Physician orders
- Communication with Caregivers
- Staff In-service tools & examples
- Interdisciplinary Referrals
- Diet changes
- Protocols for Screen vs the Evaluation
- Consider Steps to Diet Change
- Weight Loss Tracking Tools
- Medication's Adverse Effects That May Lead to Weight Loss
- Research on Thickened Liquids
- Reasons for referral
- Medical Necessity
- Rehabilitative Skilled Procedures
- SLP Skilled Services
- Medicare Benefit Policy
- Example of Skilled Daily Notes -Dysphagia
- Example of Skilled Daily Notes – Sp/Cog/Lang
- Unskilled Documentation
- Cognitive Coding exception
- Coding Rules for Cognitive & Language Deficits
- Clinical scenarios for proper coding
- Points to know about G31.84
- Ex of POC with dementia as Primary Dx
- Duration of treatment with dementia
- LTC caseload –Treatment types
- Complex Medical Conditions on SLP caseload
- Common Survey TAGs
- Survey Compliance
- Common Goals
- Shared by The IDT members
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on references for coding and documenting their clinical cases.
- Indicate 4 screening tools to identify residents who require skilled speech language pathology services.
- Identify the steps and considerations to changing a resident’s diet.
- List the findings from 4 research studies regarding thickened liquids.
- List examples of how to document the reason for referral, to connect the medical diagnosis to the need for skilled SLP intervention.
- Recognize 2 example sentences for both skilled and unskilled documentation examples.
- List at least 3 clinical scenarios that would lead to a different cognitive treatment code.
- Identify the Exclude 2 rule for the R40-R46 codes.
- Identify 3 facility/community goals, based on regulatory &/or survey requirements.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 4 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Speech Language Pathologist
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
This course is offered for 0.40 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial – Lisa Milliken is employed by Windsor Rehab and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course..
Nonfinancial – No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.