Research shows that almost 40% of men over 50 discuss sexual health with their providers. The perception of sexual activity amongst the senior population has resulted in limited information that minimizes access to information pertaining to health, privacy, consent, STIs, and living in communities and long-term care facilities. We all want to live full lives with meaningful relationships, as professionals it’s important to be fully aware of sexuality and aging and the perspective of senior service providers. This course will provide you with an example of a Sexual Expression Policy and tools and insight necessary to ensure that the seniors you serve can have a full, healthy future.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Overview of U.S. aging population
- Trends affecting senior population
- Wellness perception impact
- Discussion of sex and sexuality
- Understanding sexual health problems
- Overview of sexual script theory
- Research finding on seniors and sexual behavior
- Connection between sexual health and aging experience
- Discuss senior service providers
- Learn about long and short term communities providing home accommodations
- Understand home policies pertaining to privacy
- Living options supporting aging
- Sexual health and sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Explore sexuality in older age
- Discuss medication effects on sexual health
- Explore consent and cognitive health
- Effects of cognition on sexual health
- Understanding the rights of cognitively impaired individuals and sexual freedom
- Explore ethical issues of capacity and personal choice
- Impact of cognitive impairment in senior communities, pertaining to sexual freedom
Course Goals & Objectives:
Participants will gain a level of understanding that enables professionals to discuss sexual health and intimacy with senior patients.
- Identify gaps in understanding pertaining to aging and sexual health.
- Define sex and sexuality.
- Identify preventative care and sexual health.
- Locate studies pertaining to aging and sexual health.
- Recognize gaps in care.
- Identify senior housing and communities.
- Recognize the importance of privacy policies.
- Recognize balance between longevity, health, and wellbeing.
- Identify impact of mental capacity and cognition on sexual health.
- Recognize rights of cognitively impaired individuals in senior communities.
- Recognize impact that sexual choice has on aging and quality of life.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 4 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Speech Language Pathologist, Nurse, Nursing Home Administrator, Social Worker, and Activities Professionals.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
This course is offered for 0.40 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Related area).
Financial – Joy Siegel is the owner of Joy Siegel Solutions and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.