There is an increasing need for skilled hands-on care to address the challenges of our aging population. Therapeutic massage has proven to be beneficial in managing the symptoms of medical conditions associated with aging, improving quality of life in the golden years. Therapeutic massage is an essential component of a treatment plan for seniors, with proven efficacy in the evidence-based literature for improving functional outcomes.
Intervention approaches for specific problems of the elderly (such as circulatory deficits, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, dementia, balance issues, and chronic pain) are discussed. Evidence reveals how therapeutic massage may be readily implemented as part of a treatment program to achieve better functional outcomes in elderly patients. You will be surprised at how little time it takes to make a significant different in function with massage therapy.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Approval Category||Expiration Date|
|Arizona||PT, PTA||Satisfies CE Requirements||Category A||Infinite|
- Aging statistics
- Massage and manual therapy definition
- Intervention types
- Research review of massage and manual therapy techniques Myofascial, Neuromuscular, trigger point, ischemic compression, deep tissue, cranial, visceral, lymph drainage
- Aging physiology
- Physiological effects of aging
- Functional effects of aging
- Massage adaptations for elders
- Research review on specific interventions
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional through benefits of manual therapy and massage interventions to address pain and stiffness in elder patients, and utilize such interventions as part of their plan of care.
- Recognize the effects of aging on physiology, psychology and function in the elderly
- Identify the efficacy of medical massage therapy in addressing select medical problems in elders, based on current evidence
- Select modifications of massage interventions for addressing common medical conditions in elders.
- Identify the benefits of therapeutic massage interventions in promoting improved mobility, reduced pain, and positive functional outcomes in the elderly
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Massage Therapist
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
Financial – Theresa Schmidt is employed by Educise and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact us by email email@example.com or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.