A continuation of Pharmacology: Landmines in Rehabilitation addressing the ongoing issues of rehab professionals needing to recognize and document medication side effects, but not receiving much information in their entry level curriculums. This two hour course provides information on sedative-hypnotic meds, GI drugs, additional information on antibiotics, and reviews cancer chemotherapies. Additionally the nutritional supplements of ginkgo biloba, melatonin, and St. John's wort are examined.
This Seminar-on-Demand is 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on medications that can affect the outcomes of rehab patients.
- Review drug physiology for oral, intravenous, and
- intra-arterial injections including bioavailability and half-life.
- Recognize side effects of sedative-hypnotic and antianxiety medications
- Identify side effects of select gastrointestinal drugs
- Review newer antibiotic medications and identify side effects of these that may interfere with rehab
- Identify at least two major side effects of cancer chemotherapy agents
- Review research findings regarding the nutritional supplements of:
- Ginkgo biloba
- St. John’s Wort
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 2
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant and Speech Language Pathologist
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Course Type: Seminar-on-demand
The course materials for this course are available in our online format.
This course is offered for 0.20 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial – Chad Hensel is employed by Marion Technical College and receives a salary. He receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.