While optimal communication systems are critical to achieving the goals of any skilled nursing facility or hospital, healthcare administrators and department heads often share frustrations about actually accomplishing this need. While each leader may be very talented in their own field, they are often challenged when communication systems with other departments are ineffective. Likewise, when clear and objective communication between the administrator and each of his/her department heads is not in place, company goals and systems will be directly affected. Systems and protocols could fail, to result in decreased staff engagement and a negative impact to patient care.
This course addresses realistic communication conflicts and barriers that often occur amongst administration and department directors. The course attendee will most likely relate to the example scenarios shared by actual healthcare leaders who were interviewed to share their feedback for this course. Solutions will be provided based on research and practical suggestions from successful healthcare leaders, to empower course attendees with tools for the most effective communication systems with their colleagues.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Examples of Ineffective Daily Communication &Example Resolutions to Daily
- • Example conflict between the:
- Administrator and the New DON
- Administrator and the Maintenance Director
- MDS Coordinator and the Rehab Director
- DON and the Admissions Coordinator
- Communication Barriers faced by Department Directors &
- Recommendations for Overcoming Barriers
- Strategies For Developing Compassionate
- Health Care Leadership
- Statistics from 29,000 Healthcare Employee Surveys on engagement
- Examples of engagement and empowering communication systems form healthcare leaders
- 6 leadership styles reviewed and discussed
- The Plan for Optimal Communication Systems
- Research supporting the complexity of Interdisciplinary teamwork
- Respect & Understand Roles
- The Culture of Empowerment
- WHAT IS TeamSTEPPS?
- The TeamSTEPPS™ Learning Strategies
- Example Director of Nursing; Position Description: Understanding their complex
- The Administrator-DON Relationship & Communication System is Critical
- Notes Form A Nurse Leadership Training
- Effective Communication Systems with the DON (and any fellow director)
- Example Director of Rehab’s Job Description- understanding their complex role
- Considerations with the Rehab Director from a Contract Therapy Company
- Thoughts from one Administrator about communication with the Rehab Director
- Effective communication with the Rehab Director
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on establishing working and effective communication systems to result in improved operations of their facility.
- List examples of communication conflicts between healthcare department heads and/or administration.
- Identify commonly reported communication barriers faced by department directors.
- Recognize the significance of communication and engagement amongst healthcare employees.
- List the different communication styles of a healthcare administrator that are shared in this course.
- Identify strategies to empower department leaders with optimal communication systems.
- List the potential benefits of the TeamSTEPPS approach.
- Identify the recommendations for effective communication systems with the Director of Nursing.
- Identify the recommendations for effective communication systems with the Director of Rehab.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Speech Language Pathologist, Nurses, Nursing Home Administrator, Respiratory Therapist, Licensed Master Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Registered Dietician, Registered Dietician Nutritionist, Licensed Dietician
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
This course is offered for 0.30 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial – Lisa Milliken is employed by Select Rehabilitation and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial – No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.