This course reviews the growth of the Senior population and identifies three lifestyle areas that directly impact physical and mental health and well being. Living transitions and accommodations, financial/economic changes, and relationships, loss and care giving are reviewed. Those who make it to senior-hood will be confronted with choices about their lifestyle, these decisions will often be based on finances, living transitions and relationships. Without a safe place to live that accommodates the aging body and without understanding one's finances and relationship dynamics, extra stress will manifest which can directly impact health. There is a direct correlation between stress and well being. An awareness of available options will help seniors identify apprpriate solutions based on their needs. As a direct provider servicing the senior market, an insight into aging will enable you to help senior clients in a more expansive manner.
This seminar-on-demand is 4 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Census data on seniors in the United States
- Life span and longevity
- Difference amongst seniors and health and well-being
- Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and impact on daily life and wellness
- How ADLs affect where a senior lives
- How ADLs can lead to other health issues
- Insight into assistance for seniors and opportunity to maintain independence
- Meaning of successful aging
- Components of successful aging
- Outcomes of successful aging
- Potential challenges of successful aging
- Various living choices for senior adults
- Aging in place, assisted living, and nursing homes
- Home modifications for ease and safety
- Choices of housing
- Impact living environment has on health and safety
- Financial issues seniors face
- Challenges presented by financial issues
- Specific issues presented by finances
- Economic realities that impact seniors
- Spousal relationships and impact of loss
- Life after loss and the stages a senor goes through when experiencing loss
- The need for social support
- Family caregiving and changing roles
- Gender roles
- The need for acceptance and support
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on identifying the lifestyes of the Senior population.
- Interpret demographics pertaining to seniors (today) in the United States and health impact.
- Recognize activities of daily living (ADLs) and how they affect life as a senior
- Recall successful aging and it's components, challenges, and outcomes
- Identify various living opportunities for seniors and impact environment has on wellness
- Recognize details on the financial/economic aspects of a senior's life.
- Identify aspects of loss of a relationship and a love and the impact it has on a senior's life.
- Explain caregiving and the affect it has on the family in the United States
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 4
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Speech Language Pathologist, Nursing, Nursing Home Administrator, Activities Director/Specialist, Registered Dietitians and Social Worker
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Course Type: Seminar-on-demand
The course materials for this webinar are available in our online format.
This course is offered for 0.40 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Related area).
Financial – Joy Siegel is the owner of Joy Siegel Solutions and receives a salary. She receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial – No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.