Community-based organizations (CBOs) are providing services that address the social aspects of wellness in partnership with hospitals and healthcare providers. These organizations are mission-driven and address social needs including housing, transportation, caregiver respite and support, and food insecurity. Many social issues can impair health and when left unaddressed, can cause and exacerbate health issues. Understanding social issues and the available responses can improve quality of life and build community connectedness.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Definition of community
- Review of community reflection
- Social determinants of health review -understanding the concept of belonging
- Review of Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Review of principles of a culture of health
- Insight into the variables comprising community-based organizations -insight into healthcare and community
- Understand definition and purpose of community engagement for health
- Recognize importance of shared information for solutions and resources
- Explore community-based program for American Indians
- Understand impact of disease-specific, environmental factors
- Explore various social needs and health response -Reveal health partnership effects
- Understand outcomes of hospital readmissions
- Identify specific programs that help improve health and minimize hospital readmissions
- Detail specific steps to establishing contracted relationships with community-based
- Learn about potential fee structures when working with CBOs
- Understand national funding of various health programs
- Understand social prescription and role of social determinants of health
- Review examples of how CBOs fit into healthcare system
- Learn about role of stakeholders in the community
- Further insight into complexities of health and non-clinical issues
- Discuss examples of CBOs and their impact
- Learn about messaging to change behavior that impacts health
- Understand role of prevention -Review public healthcare campaigns
- Identify ways that SODH variables can be addressed to positively impact health
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on understanding social issues and the available responses to improve quality of life and build community connectedness.
- Define community
- Define social determinants of health and impact on community
- Identify principles of a culture of health
- Define concept of community engagement
- Identify components of community engagement programs
- Recognize examples of community engagement programs
- Identify ways to pay for community-based services
- Identify social prescriptions that can impact behavior
- Identify role of government as pertaining to support of CBOs
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 4 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist,
Occupational Therapist Assistant, Certified Athletic Trainer, Massage Therapist, Licensed Massage Therapist, Nurses, Nursing Home Administrator, Respiratory Therapist, Licensed Master Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
Financial – Joy Siegel is the owner of Joy Siegel Solutions and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.