Football is associated with the greatest number of direct catastrophic injuries for all major team sports in the United States. Catastrophic injuries can strike down any level of football player, from high school to professional, however the incidence of catastrophic injury is four times higher in college than in high school in the United States. Cardiovascular conditions, heat illness, and dehydration can cause indirect catastrophic injury just as surely as concussions and cervical spine injuries cause direct injuries. Thoroughly understanding the common mechanisms of injury and prevention strategies for direct and indirect catastrophic injuries is critical in properly caring for athletes at every level.
Originally presented as a live event at the prestigious Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, Florida, “Injuries in Football: Catastrophic Injuries” presents up to date information, resources and techniques for proper strength and conditioning to reduce sports injuries and accelerate rehabilitation. This guide combines the professional Dr. Julian Bailes MD, Mike Kordecki, DPT, ATC, SCS and Mark Gionanini, MD.
The course begins with relevant updates to concussions as the growing topic is consistently researched. Athletic trainers and team physician roles are covered as well as the importance of their relationship’s goal in achieving the physical and psychosocial welfare of the athletes. Brachial plexus injuries are confronted due to the constant involvement in football. Emergency action plans and acute management of cervical spinal care are stressed throughout the course as the focus upon catastrophic injuries is not a matter of “if,” but “when” they will happen. Case studies are interwoven through the different topics as they place real events with real people for the purpose of learning outcomes.
This Seminar-On-Demand is 3 hours 50 minutes in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|Contact Hours: 3||
Video Course Format: Video
|Target Audience: ATC/LAT, CSCS/NSCA-CPT, PT/PTA|
|Instructional Level: Advanced||BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Approval Category||Expiration Date|
|Florida||ATC/LAT||BOC Approved Provider||P3633||Category A||2019-12-31|
- Update on Concussion in Football
- The Other Side of the Equation - Concussion Prevention
- Inter-Association Consensus Statement on Best Practices for Sports Medicine for Secondary Schools and Colleges
- Acute Management of Head and Spine Injuries
- Prevention of Exertional Heat Illnesses Made Easy
- A Curious Case of Tachycardia / Dyspnea
- Injuries in Football - Brachial Plexus Injuries
- Evaluation and Rehabilitation of Stingers
- Acute Cervical Injuries in Football
- Emergency Preparedness in Sideline Management
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on assessing, treating and preventing catastrophic injuries in football players.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to
- Recognize the obvious signs that athletes display that will disqualify them from activity.
- Identify the role of the athletic trainer and the role of the team physician and their priorities of patient safety, health, and satisfaction
- List what PMSC stands for and know criteria for neurological involvement with c-spine injuries
- Recognize the importance of hydration and when and how to instruct athletes to make healthy habits of hydration
- Recognize signs and symptoms of football stingers, direct treatment, and potential structural or functional predisposing factors to stingers.
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 3 hours, 50 minutes
Please see "Approvals" tab for actual awarded contact hours for state and licensure.
Target Audience: Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists.
Instructional Level: Advanced
BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
The course materials for this Seminar-On-Demand are available instantly in our online format.
- Financial - This course is created in conjunction with The Andrews Institute. The Andrews Institute receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
- Nonfinancial - No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
- No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.