How to prevent burnout in healthcare and why are healthcare professionals so stressed out??? Burnout syndrome and compassion fatigue are known to be highly prevalent in healthcare professionals due to factors closely correlated with an individual’s commitment level as well as the challenges associated with day-to-day responsibilities. The resulting burnout causes chronic depletion of coping resources from prolonged exposure to the variety of stressors encountered. Healthcare professionals do not often see their own symptoms; thus, they do not diagnose themselves. Instead, they may forge ahead despite the problems, leading to negative physical and mental outcomes.
This enlightening course will review the factors of stress, burnout, and compassion fatigue for healthcare professionals as well as uncover the specific sources that trigger this insidious process. Effective strategies are shared regarding the management of such sources, as well as suggestions on how to incorporate a resilient mindset into daily thinking. Other physical and neurological frameworks are shared including recommended wellness strategies and simple steps that can change the course of direction. Ultimately, this course should result in a higher quality life for healthcare professionals with greater health outcomes.
|Contact Hours: 3|
Video Course Format: Video
|Instructional Level: Intermediate||BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- What is Burnout?
- Who May Have An Increased Risk Of Burnout?
- What is Compassion Fatigue?
- Factors of Stress for Healthcare Professionals
- The Physiological Evidence of Prolonged Stress
- A Deep Dive into the Sources of Burnout
- Signs & Symptoms of Burnout
- Strategies for Management of Stress and Burnout
- Practice Mindfulness Training
- The Neuroscience of Mindfulness
- Utilize 3 Strategies of Resiliency
- Other physical factors to consider when managing stress and burnout
- Foster Wellness
- Self-Care, Nutrition & Hydration
- The effects of exercise and sleep to the brain
- Preventative Care, Financial Health & Emotional Health
- Journaling Strategies
- Achieving a work-life balance
- Music & Relaxation Techniques
- The Neuroscience supporting meditation & prayer
- Health benefits of Laughter and Volunteering
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional to recognize symptoms of burnout and implement strategies to prevent or manage this condition.
- Recognize Burnout, to include its specific application to and risks for healthcare professionals
- Recognize the physiological effects of burnout and stress to the body
- Identify the sources of burnout for healthcare professionals
- List the signs and symptoms of burnout
- Recognize the recommended strategies for management of stress and burnout, to include those for resiliency and mindfulness
- Identify at least 5 factors of ongoing wellness, to prevent burnout and improve quality of life and health
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Certified Athletic Trainers, Speech Language Pathologist, Nurse, Nursing Home Administrator, Social Worker, Massage Therapists, Registered Dieticians, and Activities Professionals.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Criteria for Completion: Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved
This course is offered for 0.30 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial – Lisa Milliken is employed by Milliken Healthcare and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.