As the elderly population grows, there is an increasing need for skilled hands-on care to address the challenges of aging. Therapeutic massage has proven to be beneficial in reducing some of the symptoms of medical conditions associated with aging, and improving quality of life in the golden years.
This course discusses age-related changes in health and physiology. Intervention approaches for specific problems such as circulatory deficits, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, stroke, balance issues, and chronic pain are discussed. A review of the evidence indicating the efficacy of therapeutic massage for common health conditions in seniors is presented. Evidence reveals how therapeutic massage may be readily implemented as part of a treatment program to achieve better functional outcomes in elderly patients.
This Seminar-On-Demand is offered is 2 contact hours in length (check your state's approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|Contact Hours: 2||
Video Course Format: Video
|Target Audience: MT/LMT, PT/PTA|
|Instructional Level: Advanced|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Massage techniques
- Effects of aging on physiology, psychology and function in the elderly
- Efficacy of medical massage therapy based on current evidence
- Modifications of massage interventions for addressing common medical conditions in the elderly
- Contraindications and precautions
- Benefits of therapeutic massage interventions in promoting improved mobility, reduced pain, and positive functional outcomes in the elderly
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional through a study on therapeutic massage as an essential component of a treatment plan for seniors.
At the concludion of this course the participant will be able to
- Describe the effects of aging on physiology, psychology and function in the elderly
- Discuss the efficacy of medical massage therapy based on current evidence
- Describe modifications of massage interventions for addressing common medical conditions in the elderly.
- Explain the benefits of therapeutic massage interventions in promoting improved mobility, reduced pain, and positive functional outcomes in the elderly
Contact Hours: 2
Target Audience: Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, and Physical Therapist Assistants.
Instructional Level: Beginner/Advanced
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.