Recent research has challenged the traditional paradigm for treating Achilles tendon injuries. Research supports accelerated rehabilitation following surgery. Literature indicates, early return to activity did not increase rates of reinjury. Thus, the focus of this course is to help the healthcare professional gain a deeper understanding of the clinically relevant research on accelerated rehabilitation following Achilles tendon repair. Armed with literature findings the health/fitness professional will be able to improve strength, flexibility and function to maximize athletes’ recovery and sustained performance.
|Contact Hours: 1||
Video Course Format: Video
|Instructional Level: Intermediate||BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Calcaneal (Achilles) Tendon Anatomy and Physiology
- Common Causes of Injury
- Ruptured Achilles Tendon Anatomy and Physiology
- Surgical Techniques for Tendon Repair
- Traditional Rehabilitation
- Accelerated Rehabilitation
- Medical Literature Ratings
- Grades (APTA)
- Search Strategy Utilized
- Critical Appraisal of Literature Findings
- Practical Applications of Findings
- Additional Notes
- Clinical Bottom Line
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to better prepare the health/fitness professional and ATC in critically appraising the evidence in the effectiveness of the initiation of rehabilitation protocols within two weeks post op of Achilles tendon rupture repair as compared to the traditional rehabilitation protocols of 4-6 weeks post-op.
- Identify the function and structure of the Achilles’ Tendon.
- Recognize sports most commonly associated with Achilles’ Tendon injury
- Distinguish 2 common surgical techniques for tendon repair.
- Identify evidence-based implications of early return to rehabilitation.
- Identify 3 elements of tendon rehabilitation supported by evidence-based literature.
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 1 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Certified Athletic Trainers and Nurses
Instructional Level: Intermediate
BOC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Financial – James Menz is the owner of JGM Consultants, LLC and receives a salary. He receives payment from HomeCEU for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service