Following the standards for competency established by the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) related to conducting a screening examination, “Differential Diagnosis for Physical Therapists” gives you a consistent way to screen for systemic diseases and medical conditions that can mimic neuromuscular and musculoskeletal problems. This comprehensive text centers on a 5-step screening model that covers past medical history, risk factor assessment, clinical presentation, associated signs and symptoms, and review of symptoms for each client.
|Contact Hours: 10|
Text Course Format: Text
|Target Audience: ATC/LAT, PT/PTA|
|Instructional Level: Beginner||BOC Level of Difficulty: Essential|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional through a self-paced study on screening of the head, neck, back, sacrum, sacroiliac and pelvis.
At the end of this course the professional will be able to
- Recognize 14 common red flags associated with back pain of systemic origin.
- Differentiate between clinical signs and symptoms of migraine, tension and cervicogenic headaches.
- Identify clinical signs and symptoms of cervical myelopathy.
- Differentiate between vascular or neurogenic back pain.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of oncologic spine pain.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of back and leg pain from arterial occulsive disease.
- Recognize 4 clinical presentations of pain patterns in pseudorenal pain.
- List 9 signs and symptoms of gastrointestinal dysfunction.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of endometriosis.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of gynecologic disorders.
- List clinical signs and symptoms of vertebral osteomyelitis.
- Differentiate between systemic and neuromuscular causes of sacral and SI pain.
- Identify 10 red flags associated with SI/sacral pain or symptoms.
- Identify 11 risk factors for sacral fractures.
- Identify 13 causes of coccygeal pain.
- Identify systemic and neuromuscular causes of pelvic pain.
- Identify clinical signs and symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of a uterine prolapse.
- Differentiate between endometriosis, gynecalgia, PID and pelvic pain.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of endometrial, ovarian or primary peritoneal and cervical cancers.
- Recognize cancer statistics and nonmodifiable and modifiable risk factors for cancer.
- Differentiate between the three major types of cancer: carcinomas, sarcomas and blood-borne cancers.
- Recognize pathways of cancer metastases.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of metastases within the integumentary, musculoskeletal, neurologic, pulmonary and hepatic systems.
- Recognize 9 early warning signs of cancer.
- Identify integumentary manifestations including Sweet’s syndrome.
- Differentiate between skin cancers including basal cell carcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas and malignant melanomas.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of cauda equine syndrome.
- Differentiate between lytic vs blastic bone lesions.
- Recognize characteristics of hypercalcemia from skeletal metastases.
- Identify and differentiate between clinical signs and symptoms of soft tissue sarcomas, osteosarcomas, Ewing’s Family of Tumors, chondrosarcomas, and osteoid osteomas.
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of brain tumors and spinal cord tumors.
- Identify and differentiate between clinical signs and symptoms of acute and chronic leukemias, multiple myelomas, Hodgkin’s disease, Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and AIDS-NHL.
Contact Hours: 10
Target Audience: Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapist Assistants, Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistant, and Athletic Trainers.
Instructional Level: Beginner
BOC Level of Difficulty: Essential
Course Type: Text
The course materials for this text are available in our online format available instantly, or by mail.
Our mail order format allows you to obtain a hardcopy of the course materials. When you choose the mail format we will rush your course materials the next business day via USPS Priority, UPS Ground or USPS Priority Express 2 Day.
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.