People suffering from dementia sometimes behave in a challenging manner, including shouting and aggression, which can lead to difficulties in providing effective care. Understanding what can cause these types of behavior and learning how to approach and deal with it can lead to fewer outbreaks and better prepare the therapist to manage it when it does present itself.
This two hour course will prepare the learner to recognize the difference between challenging behaviors and the symptoms associated with Dementia. Analysis of the root causes and a thorough survey of intervention strategies to overcome challenging behaviors will be covered.
This Seminar-on-Demand is 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|Contact Hours: 2||
Video Course Format: Video
|Target Audience: OT/COTA, PT/PTA, RN, SLP|
|Instructional Level: Intermediate|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional to recognize the difference between challenging behaviors and the symptoms associated with Dementia.
At the conclusion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Differentiate between challenging behaviors and symptoms associated with Dementia
- Create a Behavior Profile
- Demonstrate the use of several key communication strategies with clients with Dementia
- Identify intervention strategies for common challenging behaviors such as wandering, difficult bathing, and more
- Identify Activity of Daily Living support strategies for working with clients with Dementia
Contact Hours: 2
Target Audience: Speech-Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants, Registered Nurses.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
This course is offered for 0.20 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
- Financial - Michelle Hediger is employed by Care One LLC and receives a salary. She receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
- Nonfinancial - Michelle Hediger has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.