Clinicians working with the geriatric population are faced with the unique challenge of not only addressing their patients symptoms and complaints, but managing these issues while accommodating for the wide variety of changes that occur with the aging process to the systems of the body.
This course reviews the major systems of the body including but not limited to musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, pulmonary, and nervous system and will explore what changes occur in these systems due to the normal aging process. Then it will be discussed how clinicians can accommodate for these changes and modify treatment sessions to ensure the greatest functional outcomes for their patients.
|Contact Hours: 3|
Video Course Format: Video
|Target Audience: OT/COTA, PT/PTA|
|Instructional Level: Beginner|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
- Identify two changes that occur to the vertebral column with aging
- Introduction - aging facts and why do we age
- Changes to the skeletal system - cartilage, collagen, and bone
- Osteoporosis and osteopenia - cause, risk factors, treatment, and therapeutic interventions
- Sarcopenia and its impact on function in the older adult
- Changes to the cardiovascular system with aging
- Orthostatic hypotension and its impact on function in the older adult
- Changes to the respiratory system with aging and their impact on breathing and function
- Changes to the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system with aging
- Reaction time and cognitive changes
- Changes to the somatosensory system
- Age related vision problems: cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and eye floaters
- Types of incontinence
- Changes with aging that impact nutritional status: taste, smell
- Fall risk in older adults
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course reviews the major systems of the body including but not limited to musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, pulmonary, and nervous system and will explore what changes occur in these systems due to the normal aging process.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify 2 changes that occur to the vertebral column with aging.
- Explain two contributing factors to decreased bone density that occurs in older adults.
- Identify two changes that occur to the muscular system with aging.
- Explain two functional implications of the changes that occur to the muscular system with aging.
- Describe three changes that occur in the cardiovascular system with normal aging.
- Identify two changes to the respiratory system with aging and explain how they impact the physical functioning of an older adult.
- Describe at least one difference between cataracts, macular degeneration, and glaucoma.
- List three changes that occur with aging that result in older adults having an increased fall risk.
- List two types of memory or cognitive changes that occur with normal aging.
- Identify the three main types of incontinence and be able to identify one characteristic of each.
"Seminar-On-Demand" course are streamed on your web browser if the online version if purchased. Our SODs are optimized for the most current versions of Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A current version of Adobe Flashplayer is also required when viewing on a desktop or laptop computer. All SOD courses are mobile ready.
Contact Hours: 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
Target Audience: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistant.
Instructional Level: Beginner
Criteria for Completion: A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Financial – Suzanne Greenwalt is employed by Belmont University and receives a salary. She receives payment from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
Nonfinancial - no relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.