This course will provide an overview of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and the impact on the swallow. Medications that are typically prescribed will be reviewed touching on potential side effects. Potential dysfunctions you would observe in the modified Barium swallow will be discussed as well as possible therapy interventions to utilize in your plan of care.
This Seminar-on-Demand is 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|Contact Hours: 2||
Video Course Format: Video
|Target Audience: OT/COTA, SLP|
|Instructional Level: Intermediate|
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on a study of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and the impact on the swallow.
At the end of this course the professional will be able to:
- Identify the form of ALS that is related to a genetic mutation.
- Recognize the initial sign of ALS.
- Identify the first treatment found to alter the course of ALS.
- Identify how to evaluate tongue and lip weakness.
- List the stages of Swallowing Subscale.
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 2
Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Registered Nurses, Speech Language Pathologists, Dietitian/Nutritionists.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
CDR CPE Level 2/ 740 Web-based
Learning Need Codes: 5210, 5300
Performance Indicators: 4.1.1, 6.2.5
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
This course is offered for 0.20 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
- Financial - Denise Dougherty has a private practice licensed in PA, NY and NJ and receives a salary. She receives a salary from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
- Nonfinancial - Denise Dougherty is a board member and past president at the American Academy of Private Practice in Speech Pathology and Audiology.
- The planning committee members and presenter/author/content reviewers of this activity have disclosed no relevant financial relationships related to the planning or implementation of this activity.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.