This course will focus on the successful integration of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) across the lifespan from adolescence through adulthood. Over time, environments and communication partners will change frequently, as do the needs of the specific individual. A personcentered approach to intervention that supports successful communication across environments and over time will be discussed. Topics will include communicative competence, including social, strategic, linguistic and operational competence as defined by Light (1989). As well the various levels of literacy, across the continuum from functional to emerging to conventional reading and writing will be addressed. An equally important concept of social validation within and across communication partners will be illustrated anecdotally and with data. Finally, the critical consideration of the need for changes in technologies and applications for use throughout the maturation process, that is, across time and over environments will be emphasized.
|State||Discipline||Approval Status||Provider Code||Expiration Date|
Course Goals & Objectives:
This course is intended to instruct the professional on competencies critical to successful integration of AAC across environments and over time.
At the conclusion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the four competencies critical to successful integration of AAC across environments and over time.
- Recognize the value of a literacy continuum for individuals who use AAC.
- Identify examples of social validation in communication efforts.
- List examples of how and why technologies and applications may change across the lifespan.
Contact Hours: 1
Target Audience: Speech Language Pathologist
Instructional Level: Beginner
Course Type: Seminar-on-demand
The course materials for this seminar-on-demand are available instantly in our online format.
This course is offered for 0.10 ASHA CEUs (Beginner level, Professional area)
- Financial - Patricia Ourand is employed by Associated Speech & Language Services, Inc. and receives a salary. She receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
- Nonfinancial - She has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
- No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.
Cancellation Policy: For activity cancellation, returns, or complaint resolution, please contact Anne Osborn by email Anne@HomeCEU or by phone at 1.800.55.4CEUS (2387). We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Refunds will be issued for courses that have not been completed (exam not taken), or for any course that has been rejected by your board of approval. Webinar attendance must be canceled 24 hours before the scheduled start time.