Contact Hours: 3
Target Audience: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants, Massage Therapists, and Speech-Language Pathologists.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
The course materials for this Seminar-On-Demand are available in our online format available instantly or by mail.
This course is offered for 0.30 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Related area).
- Financial - Lisa Milliken is the Director of Compliance & Education for Synergy Care and receives a salary. Lisa Milliken received a salary for the presentation of this course from HomeCEUConnection.com.
- Nonfinancial - Lisa Milliken serves as the Louisiana representative to ASHA's State Medicare Administrative Contractor Network.
- No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.
Ethics is the branch of philosophy which involves the study of our actions, values and the rules of conduct by which we live. Ethics describes actions, not people. It is a requirement of each healthcare professional to be able to know and identify the code of ethics of their association and State Board.
This course focuses on the facts and actual codes of ethics among different Healthcare groups (i.e., PT, OT, SLP, Massage Therapy, etc.). Lisa delves deep into the use of ethics in the healthcare setting as well as the consequences that may result from noncompliance with the standards and expectations. Clinicians will take away from this course the skills to apply practical applications of ethics in real ethical dilemmas.
This Seminar-On-Demand is 3 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
- Introduction and Overview
- Describe how to locate his/her applicable code of ethics per association and/or board
- Name at least four rules of ethics that are found to be common healthcare organization policies
- Identify practical applications of ethics in real ethical dilemmas
- Identify common compliance issues and their consequences resulting from failure to meet ethical standards
- Conclusion and Questions
This course is designed to guide the professional through the facts and actual codes of ethics among different Healthcare groups.
At the conclusion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Recognize how to locate the applicable code of ethics per association and/or board.
- List four rules of ethics that are found to be common healthcare organization policies.
- Recognize practical applications of ethics in real ethical dilemmas.
- Identify common compliance issues and their consequences resulting from failure to meet ethical standards.
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
The participant will have 1 year from date of purchase or until the course expiration date to complete this course, whichever comes first.
View course expiration dates
About Lisa Milliken, MA, CCC-SLP
Lisa Milliken, MA, CCC-SLP, grew up in South Louisiana where she earned her Bachelors degree at Louisiana Tech University, and her Masters at the University of Memphis, both degrees in Speech-LanguagePathology. Lisa has spent the majority of her career with adults and geriatric residents, including a combination of hands-on treatment and administration with rehab and long-termcare companies.
Lisa is the Director of Compliance & Education for Synergy Care. She serves as the LA representative to ASHA’S State Medicare Administrative Contractor Network (SMAC) and is the President-Elect and the 2012 Convention Chair for LSHA.